Saturday 24 December 2011

New Cyclinder Head

The search began for a new head, and I was able to locate one complete, with cams, valves, springs, buckets and shims. I quickly ordered the required gaskets for the changeover and got stuck into it yesterday and today.

The first job was to clean the shrapnel out of the sump and the strainer, even though the sump (and most of the shredded metal) has been emptied, I wanted to make sure I didn't have any left overs sitting in the engine.






Also worth checking the oil regulator while I'm at it


Putting the sump back on I found a couple of the bolts were fatigued and snapped while trying to tighten them to the correct torque setting. I've bought some new bolts (stainless steel), same thread, which I'll machine up as replacements, but I'll do this once the engine is back in the bike.


Next job was to get new head on top of the block. I put a fresh head gasket in while I was at it. With the head tightened on, the cams needed to be installed in the correct position, which meant lining up the markings on the cam gears, with the crank set at "top dead centre"

"Top Dead Centre" marking:

Count out 15 pins between the (3) on the left intake cam and (2) on the right exhaust cam, the zip ties help hold it in position while I work on the rest:


When putting the cams back in its important to coat the journals with "Suzuki Molly Paste", this helps them bed in, and prevents it binding up at first startup:


Once the cams are all in place its a matter of bolting in the top of the journals, putting the cam chain tensioner back in, and with a bit of Three Bond bolting the head cover on.


And here she is ready to bolt back into the bike:

Cheers,
SammyA




No comments:

Post a Comment