Saturday 31 December 2011

We Have Ignition!

Time to get the engine back in and make sure she fires up before placing the order for Race Glass and reinforced Engine Covers. First step was to use my engine jack to lift the engine into position. This is a fiddly job as everything needs to line up perfectly in order to get the engine bolts in.


The two rear nuts for the upper and lower engine bolts are single use "self-locking" nuts, so it's important to get new ones.
 


With the engine in place and supported by the chassis, time to replace those fatigued sump bolts I spoke about earlier, I've used some new stainless steel bolts which should be much stronger than the OEM. They tightened to torque straight away.


Time to re-cable the wiring loom, re-install the carburettors, put the airbox back in, and connect the fuel tank. This is where I'm very glad a labelled EVERYTHING!


With the sump and the radiator filled the only thing left to do was pull in the clutch lever and hit the starter! Damn what a tense moment!

Then... ooops... helps to remember to tighten the radiator hose clamp! This one gave me a heart attack!





Take two!



Now I have a running bike, time to put the fairings back on and run it in for a thousand K's. I'll then change the oil and filter. I've also booked in for a track day at Broadford to put her through the paces and see how she runs at full throttle.

Once the oil and filter is changed I'll go through lock wiring everything off (one of the GCR's I talked about earlier).

Cheers,
SammyA


No comments:

Post a Comment